Death gratuity is paid when a member dies while had contributed to the Fund for a period less than 180 months or 15 years.
Section 30 of GEPF Retirement Benefit Fund Act provides for payment of death and survivors benefits where a member dies while in service. These benefits are paid subject to the following conditions:
• A deceased member who had contributed to the Fund for a minimum period of 180
months or 15 years shall be paid both death gratuity and survivors pension.
• A deceased member who had contributed to the Fund for a period less than 180 months
or 15 years will only be paid death gratuity.
Where a member dies before reaching the prescribed retirement age, the Board shall grant his legal representative a gratuity of an amount not exceeding either his annual pensionable emoluments or his commuted pension gratuity whichever is greater.
• Annual Pensionable Emolument is an average of three years’ salary enjoyed by the
member within the last three years preceding his death; or
• Commuted pension gratuity = 0.25 X Specified Amount X 12.5
Where: Specified Amount = 1/580 X APE X MPS
• APE is Annual Pensionable Emoluments which represents the average
salary enjoyed by the member 36 months preceding his death
• MPS is the Months of pensionable service
The payment is made through the deceased member’s employer or estate administrator appointed by the Court.